However, it is important not to be too heavy.
There are 2 main types of eyeliner, liquid and pencil.
Liquid needs a very steady hand as its easy to get smudges and smears.
Pencil is much easier and quicker to use and will give good results if you smudge the line to give a soft more natural look.
- Brown is the most popular as it blends in well. Brown flatters There are 2 main types of eyeliner, liquid and pencil. Liquid needs a very steady hand as its easy to get smudges and smears but learning a few tips and tricks will give you confidence as well as green and blue.
- Black is for the heavy look.
- Blue and plum go well with similar eyeshadow tones.
Blunt the pencil and gently run the tip along the top of your lashes as close as you can get.
Now smudge it gently with your finger and repeat with the bottom lashes only not too wide or you will look like a panda.
If you use a kohl pencil, which is very soft, you can run it along the inside of your lower lid.
This will stand out against the whites of your eyes and give a wide awake look.
This is a trick we used in the seventies when I was a model but you must be very careful not to get makeup into your eyes as this could cause infection.
If you are worried about infection from cosmetics, take a quick look at at what the US Foods and Drug Administration recommend about eye cosmetic safety tips.
Liquid liner requires more experience as it can be quite messy for the inexperienced hand.
- Angle your head slightly and look into a magnifying mirror.
- Hold the brush as a pencil and gently pull your eyelid taut. Now carefully draw a fine line across the top lid just above the lashes, from the outer corner to the inside. To keep a steadier hand try resting it on your cheek.
- Keep your eyes closed for a second or two to let the liner dry or you will end up with two lines.
Remember to keep all brushes clean by washing regularly and also that there is a technique to applying eyeliner and practice makes perfect.