Combined with a regular eye exercise program there is no reason why a computer operator’s eyes should not be beautiful, sparkling, clear and at all times – so stick with it!
Start by a simple palming routine.
1. Place the palms of your hands over the area surrounding your eye sockets with the fingers lightly crossing on the center of your forehead.
2. With your eyes closed, gently and lightly rotate your palms over the area changing direction from time to time continuing for two or three minutes. This increases the blood flow to the eye muscles and that will relax and restore vitality to your eyes.
1. Sit or stand at the end of a room or outdoors and simply let your eyes roam, focusing on one object and then another at different distances in your field of vision, and all the while keeping your neck and back straight and body relaxed.
2. Continue for two to three minutes or until you feel you have had enough. This scanning lets the focus of your eyes regain flexibility after the near work on the computer.
1. Another exercise to get your focusing improved after intensive computer work.
2. Hold a pencil, finger or thumb in front of your nose and within comfortable near focus range, then find an object ten to fifteen feet away and focus on that.
3. With each deep breath alternate your focus between your pencil/finger and the distant object repeating fifteen times.
1. A relaxing exercise that reduces tension in the shoulders, neck and face muscles.
2. Still breathing deeply and with your eyes closed allow your head to gently drop down to rest your chin on your chest as you breathe out.
3. As you breathe in, gently and slowly roll your head to the right and exhaling return your chin to your chest.
4. Repeat to the left always remembering to exhale deeply as you return your chin to the chest and inhale deeply as you roll your head to either side.
5. Do not hurry the movements, take it nice and easy. You should feel a pleasant relaxing effect after four or five head rolls.
1. You will probably need to finish your computer session to carry out this routine and nor is this strictly an exercise but the benefits are too good to ignore.
2. You will need two small bowls, one filled with hot but not scalding water the other filled with ice cold water from the fridge or with ice cubes in it.
3. Soak a face cloth in each bowl and start by applying the hot face cloth to your closed eyes for thirty seconds and then repeating with the cold face cloth for another thirty seconds.
4. Alternate between the two for two to three minutes and then gently massage dry your eyes with a soft towel.
5. Your eyes should become clear and sparkling and you should have a wonderful feeling of well-being.
There are some excellent brands of eye drops that can be applied at any time to help alleviate the symptoms of eyestrain and fatigue and they can be particularly helpful to intensive computer users.